A Suspended Moment with Artist Janet Simmons Sweet

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Nature has taken over the Rose Theatre Art Gallery from December to March through the beatiful paintings of Janet Simmons Sweet. Using the canvas to represent moments where light and colour provide respite to the viewer, Janet translates to the canvas a nature "full of life". We invited her to talk more about her works.



1. When/how did you begin painting?

I started painting as a teenager, and then continued sporadically through a career with a bank and raising a child. Then in 1998 I was diagnosed with cancer, which I now refer to as the best thing that ever happened to me. It woke me up to reset my entire life, to be one with a passion for living. Art. My passion. I went back to painting, eventually joining an art organization in Brampton called Beaux-Arts, and became a full-time Artist over four years ago with a Studio at the Alton Mill.

2. What is the place of your art in a world bombarded with images?

I paint the moment of light and colour where I have found calm and peace. It is my intention that the viewer in a world bombarded by other images, will find and feel that suspended moment.

3. Can we consider your work naturalist art?

I do lean toward subject matters in a natural setting (my favourite being trees in all their stages of life), where I find my most constant peaceful moment. However, that is not to say that any other subject matter with spectacular light and colour is not considered for my intention.

4. Do you think your style is an interesting way to provoke the actual status of the art? Why?

I am actually not interested in provoking anything. Artistically or, in response to your question the status of the art. I firmly believe that anything, with any kind of value at all, does not need to find success through provocation.

5. How the Bill Davis experimental educational program influenced your works?

The Bill Davis experimental educational program was designed with independent study of core subjects, allowing a student who maintained an average of 85% in any subject, to self teach. I chose to self teach all the core subjects, with the exception of the Arts. This provided me with intense instruction in all mediums of the visual arts, and expanded all the other disciplines. I was given an outstanding opportunity to learn both the technical aspects of the Arts, and an appreciation of its considerable impact, that is present in all my works today.

6. What tendencies do you find in the student’s artwork as a juror for multiple Arts Organizations?

I am thrilled to find the enthusiasm in our community for visual arts. The artwork presented in Juried Shows has been in multi-mediums and in every style imagined. The Arts grow and change, and yet remain the same with its message.

7. What does it mean to you to have your work on display at the Rose Theatre Art Gallery?

I feel the Rose Theatre is one of the proudest concepts architectually that Brampton has to offer to the community, and housing the Arts, a perfect marriage. Being given the opportunity to exhibit in this outstanding venue, joining the visual arts with the performing arts, makes my heart sing!

8. Could you give any advice to the new artists?

Believe in yourself. Don't give up. Join in with the Artist Community where you live. Live passionately through your art.

Janet Simmons Sweet
December, 7, 2011 - March 3, 2012

Rose Theatre Art Gallery - 1 Theatre Lane, Brampton, ON
Hours of Operation: Mon - Sun 12PM - 8PM
Please see Box Office staff or security on site for access to the gallery.

You Might Also Like

0 comments