Behind the Curtain - The Full Monty!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Rob Woodcock (director) and Melissa Jane Shaw (choreographer)

Time has certainly FLOWN by as the cast has been working hard in rehearsals for the past couple of weeks. The first performance is just around the corner (in two days)!

So far, we’ve spoken a lot about and taken many pictures of the cast, and now we want to check in with a couple of the creative team members.

Choreographer Melissa Jane Shaw gave us some great input with some fun answers to our behind-the-scenes questions about The Full Monty:

What was your take on this show, did you start from scratch or is the choreography similar to the original production?  If you made any major changes what were they and why?
My process with all shows is that I read the script and based on that determine what movement/dance will best serve the story or specific number. Then I listen to the songs several times and meditate and envision what I want. I usually dance around for a while and get a feel for the 'dance language' of the piece. Only once I have my own vision do I dig up choreography from past productions, including the original. I don't want to be influenced by another vision before I have my own, which may end up being better! I often pull and use bits that I like from the original, but the overall picture is always different as we typically don't have the same set, cast numbers, time to rehearse etc. So, I choreograph to suit OUR production.

How are the actors feeling about their dance skills? Has anyone surprised you with their performance? 

The irony is that 3 of our 6 Full Monty men are legit dancers, meaning they're trained and can jump, turn and rock out any dance show. The real challenge with them is making them look like they can NOT dance. Working class dudes in Buffalo just don't move like that! I think that it will all balance out in the end and the final number will have its due pay-off.

What is the most challenging sequence in the show?
I would say that 'Michael Jordan's Ball' is the most challenging sequence, purely for its cardiovascular challenge. The guys have to sing some pretty major high-notes and do a lot of dribbling and dunking. But it's a fun number and gets the guys finding their groove.

Tell us about any funny moments you’ve experienced while teaching the cast new moves.
Funny like "Ha! Ha!" funny or funny like I want to tear my eyes out figuring out how these wardrobe bits are going to work?! Aside from costume pieces getting stuck in bits and ends and some of the raunchy factor to the moves, we'll leave the laughter to the audience :-)

With regards to the songs themselves, musical director Jeannie Wyse adds in, “My favourite number is ‘Big Ass Rock’ because we fall in love with Malcolm during this number. Also, it's in the style of Carole King and I LOVE Carole King.” 'Breeze off the River' is another of her favourites and she says Michael Torontow (Jerry) sings it absolutely beautifully!

Wyse always demands a high level of vocal excellence no matter the perceived level of talent and says it has been significantly easier having so many seasoned performers in The Full Monty. “We’re working with SUCH a talented cast!” she says.


Entry by Rebekah Reeves
Marketing Assistant, Rose Theatre Brampton

You Might Also Like

0 comments