Cast Highlight #2 - Erin MacKinnon (The 39 Steps)

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

We are starting another week of rehearsals and Robert Woodcock (director) has had such a clear vision of The 39 Steps from the very beginning that it has really given all of us, as actors, much freedom to explore our characters within the parameters of the script.

This is one of those wonderful shows that you get to be really challenged as an actor because you get the opportunity to play so many different characters. In my case I am playing three women who all have very distinct personalities, not to mention accents (one German, one Scottish and the last British).

Erin (with Sweeney MacArthur)
in a promotional shot for
7 Stories (2010)
Rehearsals have be an absolute joy since day one. Here we are well into the process and Sweeney, Scott and Mark are continuously making me laugh as their characters grow leaps and bounds every day. It was at the end of last week Geoff Nantes (sound designer) came in and added the sound cues to the show. Which, in this show in particular, have proven to be the icing on the cake. From telephone rings to train whistles the sound has really added so much detail to the scenes and will be such an asset this week as we start to do full runs of the show.

My favourite sound cue, although I am a little biased, will be my seven week old daughter's stage debut....so you will have to listen for it. This is my first show since she was born and I have to say that working with such a creative and inspiring group of people during the day and coming home to a beautiful little baby makes me feel like I have it all. I am very blessed indeed.

The 39 Steps runs Friday, July 8 to Saturday, July 30 in the Rose Theatre Studio Two. For more information and to order your tickets visit www.rosetheatre.ca or call 905-874-2800.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Can't wait for the show to open this Friday! Had to scrounge for a seat as the first three nights are completely sold-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just arrived from an enjoyable evening at the Rose Theatre... and boy what a great show the 39 steps is!! Thanks for the laughs and putting on a great performance!! Unfortunately I didn't catch your daughter's intro... perhaps I'll have to go again!

    ReplyDelete