Cast Highlight #3 - Sweeney MacArthur (The 39 Steps)

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Sweeney in The War Show (2010)

Just days away from the opening of The 39 Steps and this place is buzzing with excitement! There are only 4 actors in the play but they’re portraying 100 characters! How is this done? With economy, efficiency and a huge dose of humour. One of the actors splitting himself into many personalities is Sweeney MacArthur. I won’t call Sweeney a veteran actor (although he is), rather a “seasoned actor”. Did you catch him in “Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day" (2009)? Or maybe you recognized his voice in “Gotta Catch Santa Claus” (2008) with William Shatner playing the big man himself? Back to The 39 Steps - I asked him what it was like playing so many different people? “I'm a bit scattered anyways! I think most actors have secret multiple personalities inside them. The tricky part is varying up things with accents, the way you move your body, etc, to make them different and interesting.” Then I point out that he’s play three old ladies as well. “I think I'm a pretty woman, but the rest of the cast seems to disagree.” Well, I promise we’ll let you know Sweeney.

The 39 Steps runs Friday, July 8 to Saturday, July 30 in the Rose Theatre Studio Two, but the first three performances are SOLD OUT! For more information and to order your tickets visit www.rosetheatre.ca or call 905-874-2800.

Written by Gabriella Currie.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Just came from a great evening of watching this play in action. You were truly enjoyable, and I had more than my fair share of laughs at your expense. Loved the show... well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was certainly ment for the role of a " Split personality".
    Bravo! Damian.

    ReplyDelete